Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Eric Himan & Andy Moore

For as long as I can remember, two things have frustrated me. One, discovering a new artist or performer with true talent and not being able to convince the rest of the world how great they are. Julia Fordham, Mary Griffin, and Deborah Vial are all examples. Two, planning a great event for a large group of people and having most of them back out at the last minute. Last night, both of those frustrating things happened at the same time. Argh!
 
Eric Himan (www.erichiman.com) is a singer/songwriter from Pennsylvania, currently on the road promoting his live CD. Cute, talented, funny, and clever, Eric is a true entertainer. He played last night at a benefit for The Center, and I expected nearly 20 people to show in my group alone. Just over half did. So here is a talented out gay artist performing in a beautiful auditorium, and far too people were there to see it. More, I am disappointed in our community. If there's alcohol and go-go boys, we turn out in force. But to support a gay artist who is trying to support our own Center? Nah, too busy to go.
 
And last night was more than a show by Eric. He was joined by another artist, Andy Moore (www.andymooremusic.com), who performed songs from her two CDs, plus several numbers with Eric. Andy's voice is fantastic, and I can't wait to see her again live. She has great range, strong emotion, and she played a bit of Patty Griffin's Forgiveness for me after the show. A concert for one? And the one is me? Way too cool!
 
So, to those of you who attended the show, thank you for supporting our Center and two great performers. For those of you who missed out, I suggest you check out the websites and see what the fuss is about. And to Eric and Andy, thank you. I hope you two enjoy the pandas!