Tuesday, January 17, 2006

And on to something new...

After riding quads, off-roading in the jeep, rock climbing, white water rafting, and skydiving, what else can a guy do for fun? How about plunging into the ocean and exploring the depths? Yep, we are off on our new adventure. Tonight, Ric, Greg and I went to our first class for SCUBA certification. The classroom work I was ready for - mostly - but the pool swim qualifying was a surprise. We did ten laps in the pool, then floated for ten minutes. Not too bad, either one, but back-to-back and a surprise like that? Well, we all met the requirements, but I can see that there will need to be a LOT more aerobics and gym-time for me if I am going to pursue SCUBA. The last thing I want to do is spend the time and expend the effort to get out somewhere, only to crawl back into the boat early because I am worn out.
 
We go back on Thursday for a night of pool time - learning to work with the gear, adjust buoyancy, become comfortable with being and breathing underwater, etc. It should be fun, but the really cool part comes up on the 28th and 29th, when we go for our certification dives. Whoo-hoo!