Sunday, March 5, 2006

A new start... again...

So here I go again, trying once more to commit myself to eating better and working out regularly. My 40th birthday is less than a year away, so there is no time like the present to get my act in gear. To that end, I have started back to the gym. I am also going to more carefully monitor what I eat. No, I am not going to become some lunatic obsessing over every morself of food. What I am going to do is try to make better choices about what I eat.

This morning, Sunday, I dragged myself out of bed at 6:30 and headed to Balboa Park to run a 5k. When I got there, though, everything seemed very disorganized. Instead of seeing a registration table, I saw 20+ kids from USD milling about and chatting. It didn't seem like anything fun for me, so I left the park and headed out to Coronado. I got to the Strand, marked off a mile and half in the car, then parked and ran the course and back. It turned out to be 3.2 miles, and it was more of a jog/run, but I did get up and do it. I don't have to run fast, I just have to keep getting up and getting out there.

I know I need to get in shape just for the benefits of being healthier, but I am also being a bit vain. I have a lot of activities and trips coming up in the next few months, and I want to be in as good a shape as possible. In fact, it seems that the entire year is beginning to fill up with fun things to do. Here is a list of the events and trips I have planned. If you want to join me on any of these runs or bike rides, I have included links for you to register.
Wish me luck. I am going to see how much I can accomplish this week, then post my weight here on the blog next Sunday. I have a lot of fun things planned for the future, and I want to be in the best shape possible to enjoy it all!