Friday, May 26, 2006

An Awful Truth

I have heard rumors of a group of Marines killing civilians in an attack in Iraq, but I refused to believe them. Now, the investigation is ending, and the story appears to be true. The war in Iraq has been a debacle from the beginning, but that does not mean that Marines become murderers. If true, the actions of this one squad are a disgrace the Marine Corps will spend years trying to live down. I don't know what else to say. I know the Marine Corps and each of my fellow Marines are better than this. I am heartsick.

Probe Finds Marines Killed Unarmed Iraqi Civilians
By Tony Perry, Times Staff WriterMay 26, 2006


SAN DIEGO — Marines from Camp Pendleton wantonly killed unarmed Iraqi civilians, including women and children, and then tried to cover up the slayings in the insurgent stronghold of Haditha, military investigations have found. Officials who have seen the findings of the investigations said the filing of criminal charges, including some murder counts, was expected, which would make the Nov. 19 incident the most serious case of alleged U.S. war crimes in Iraq.

The rest of the details are available here in this report.