Thursday, May 25, 2006

Losing Weight vs. Being Healthy

I weighed in this morning at 195.6, which is only a pound over my lowest weight from the past two months. But I am at a plateau of sorts, not really losing any more weight. And suddenly I am worried that I am not going to get any more fit. Dumb, right? I know. I know.

This was never about chasing a magic number. My decision to improve my health was not about weighing 195 pounds or 150 pounds. It was – and still is – about feeling more fit, eating foods that are more nutritious, exercising regularly, and developing a far more active lifestyle. Those things are not goals to be achieved as much as they are habits to maintain.

I know what I need to do. For all the talk about it, it really does come down to two simple things – eat better and exercise. As long as I continue to do that, I will continue to improve my health. So today, I will be back at the gym at lunch running 5k on the treadmill. Then, on the way home, I will stop at UrbanBody gym and ride the bicycle for an hour. Finally, I will get home and have a good dinner.

I can do this. I know I can.