Thursday, June 1, 2006

Bush - Callous and Out of Touch

Just when I thought I had seen, heard, and read everything shocking about President Dubya Bush, along comes another story that makes me want to scream.

Some background first, to set the tone. In March 2004, the President attended the White House Correspondents Dinner. There, they showed a “humorous” video of Bush in the Oval Office, searching high and low for Weapons of Mass Destruction. “Maybe they are here,” said the President, as he looked under furniture and behind doors.” I am sure the search for missing WMDs is far less amusing to the families of the Soldiers and Marines killed looking for them.

And recently, when asked by a German newspaper reporter what his most memorable moment was since becoming President, Bush responded with “catching a large fish.” Yes, a fish. Forget all of the moments of history – the 9/11 Memorial Services, “Mission Accomplished,” the images from Hurricane Katrina that we can never forget. Nope, catching a fish on his lake in Crawford is his most memorable moment.

With that in mind, I should not be surprised by the news of his actions on the evening of 9/11. And I am not surprised, really. Disgusted is a better word. In an interview given to Ladies Home Journal in 2003, the Bush family described what happened to them on 9/11. In their own words, they described the day as ending “on a humorous note.”

Reading the details of this story make me sick. I know that I was glued to the television all day and night, watching in horror and with disbelief as the death toll was projected to be 10,000 or higher. I was awake long into the morning hours, unable to look away from what was happening in New York and at the Pentagon.

And what was the President thinking? Well, at 10:00pm he was ready for bed, but concerned about not being able to sleep in his own room. His exact words, according to the interview?

And I said no, I can't sleep down there, the bed didn't look comfortable. I was really tired, Laura was tired, we like our own bed. We like our own routine.

Well, why let something like a devastating terrorist attack on American soil affect your routine? And read on through the article, where he describes the day as ending on a laugh. I don’t know about you, but laughing was the last thing I could imagine doing after watching the events of 9/11 unfold.

I could write forever about how truly disconnected and out of touch this President is, but why? His actions and comments say more about him than I ever could.