Thursday, August 31, 2006

Date Night – Bikes, Ruby’s and a Movie

Last night was Date Night, so Ric and I were both anxious to get out of work. Fortunately, the whole server network decided to crash at 3:50pm, so that was our cue to leave the office. We went home, changed clothes, and were back out the door in less than 15 minutes. Our first stop was Adams Avenue, where we went to a couple of bike shops to check out road bikes. Ric is determined to get me a nice, new bike so I can start training for the AIDS Life/Cycle, so who am I to say no? My choices now are down to three:

$1000 Trek Greg Lemond from Trek


$1300 Specialized Allez from Adams Ave Cycle Shop


$1500 Giant OCR from Cal Coast Bicycles.


It’s a lot to pay for a bike, I know, but Ric doesn’t want me to get something cheap and end up hating every mile that I ride. Personally, I don’t know that I will appreciate the difference in the bikes, but everyone I talk to disagrees. The general advice I am getting is “buy the best bike you can afford, because the road is not the place to beat yourself up for saving a few bucks.”

After checking out the bikes, we were ready for dinner. We ate at Ruby’s, which is a retro 50’s place at the mall that offers pretty good burgers. Unlike Corvette Diner, which plays the 50’s card but adds bitchy waitresses, Ruby’s is a fun place with wait staff that actually smile. I like that. And since I have been so consistent with working out and eating healthy, I let myself indulge a bit with a bacon cheeseburger. Yum. I was strong enough to resist the chocolate shakes, but just barely.

After dinner, we wandered the mall a bit. It’s nice to have that time to ourselves, cell phones left in the car, and actually have time to talk. It’s amazing the number of things that we mean to say to each other throughout the week that somehow get missed or forgotten. I know I say this every week, but I am so happy to have date night. It’s the highlight of my week.

Before we knew it, it was time for the movie. We made a quick stop at the snack counter, to splurge a bit more. But what would a movie-going experience be without popcorn and licorice? At least we washed it all down with Diet Coke. Does that help?

After the movie, we stopped at 7-11 for a little ice cream. I am proud to say that I ate barely a quarter of the pint, which is quite an accomplishment. It used to be, I would devour the whole pint in a single sitting.

All and all, another fantastic date with my husband.