Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Geez. Weights are heavy.

After nearly five months of elliptical trainers, bicycles, treadmills and 5k outdoor events, I am adding weight training to my physical fitness regimen. I hadn’t really planned to work out with weights/weight machines, assuming that my cardio activity would be enough to keep losing the pounds. But I am beginning to plateau, and it is time to shock my body again.

I found this summary at About.com, and it’s a far better explanation of the benefits than I could write. So shamelessly, I borrow from their website:

Weight Training 101
If you want to lose fat or change your body, one of the most important things you can do is lift weights. Diet and cardio are equally important, but when it comes to changing how your body looks, weight training wins hands down. If you've hesitated to start a strength training program, it may motivate you to know that lifting weights can:

  • Help raise your metabolism; Muscle burns more calories than fat, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you'll burn all day long
  • Strengthen bones
  • Make you stronger and increase muscular endurance
  • Help you avoid injuries
  • Increase your confidence and self-esteem
  • Improve coordination and balance

So, here we go again. Something new to keep me motivated. By adding this to my routine, it will give me more to do than just run, bike or climb. Hopefully, this will help me push through this weight and start burning off the calories again!