Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Revelations?

As many of you know, I am signed on to a Yahoo! group of Marines that I was stationed with many years ago. I had a phone conversation with one of these guys the other day, and I realized that most of them have no idea what really happened to me back in 1989... how I came to be discharged from the Marine Corps.

I have planned to write it all down as part of the "History of John," but I am not sure if I want to share it with the Marine group. On one hand, there must have been a million different stories of what was going on, and no one really knew the truth. On the other hand, it was a long time ago and shouldn't really matter, anymore.

Weird. I feel connected to the group but still disconnected, and for many of the same reasons I felt the same way back when I was on active duty. Posting the full story would be more for me than anyone, but at least I would know that the truth was told.

So, my question... is it better to revisit your past to resolve open issues, or are some things best left where they lay?