Monday, September 4, 2006

Russ, Trevor and Jared

We were supposed to go scuba diving yesterday, but I am fighting a cold and wasn't up to it. Instead, we made a quick trip out for errands - lunch, scuba tanks, jean shopping - then came back to the house. I had low expectations for the day, but I could not have been more wrong.

Late in the afternoon, our friends came by. Russ and Trevor stopped over to visit, and they brought Russ' son, Jared. We haven't seen these guys since February, and our time hanging out was long overdue.

Mostly, we just talked. We hung out in the dining room for a while, then made our way to the back patio to show them how much the backyard has grown. Back in the house for snacks and more conversation, then finally over to the Venice Pizza House for dinner.

I know this may not seem as exciting as some of the other blog entries - no diving, hiking, camping, or fancy vacation. But sometimes, the most incredible moments come without fanfare or expectation. It's important to remember the people who truly care about you, and to celebrate the magic in the simple. For me, that was yesterday afternoon and evening. Talking to Russ and Trevor was easy, comfortable, and reassuring. They are both such incredible people, and I value their friendship.

And Jared? I have known him now for several years, and it is so cool to watch him mature. He used to be a more high-maintenance kid, but he has grown into such a cool kid. I think he is 9 or 10, but I don't know. I am not good with ages like that. I do know that he is now so much fun to talk with and be around. He is on his way to becoming a very cool young man.

And this, an anonymous quote I ran across on the web...
true friendship isn't about being there when it's convenient; it's about being there when it's not.”