Monday, October 9, 2006

Campaign Rule

I know there are already plenty of rules that politicians are supposed to obey in campaigning. (I also know that most of them violate these rules all the time, but that is an issue for another day.) Right now, I have only one request of anyone running for an office:
Do not use campaign slogans that have no real meaning and would never be opposed by anyone else.

What does that mean? It means that I am tired of hearing empty suits chanting slogans and phrases that mean nothing. Here are a few examples:
  • I am against crime.
  • I am for education.
  • I support the family.
  • I am against terrorism.
Well, duh. Has any candidate ever run on an "I support crime" platform? No. It is a stupid statement because no one is going to be on the other side of it. I will concede that there are differences in how people might demonstrate their commitment against crime - some favor tougher laws, others longer sentences, and others more proactive efforts to prevent it. But they only disagree on the strategies or tactics, not the intent.

So, the next time someone says, "I support this country," don't let them get away with an empty statement. Ask them to explain exactly what actions they have taken. Demand details and real answers, not meaningless bumper sticker words.