Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Dreamgirls - The Movie

While in LA this weekend, I saw that Dreamgirls was playing at the ArcLight theater. I just assumed it had already opened, so I made plans to catch a matinée while everyone else was taking a nap. AJ and I went to the theater at 2 for a 3pm show, and we managed to buy the last two tickets. Apparently, it is an exclusive engagement at this theater right now. Tickets were $25 each, but included a slick program and a poster. In the lobby they had costumes and props from the film on display. I mean, we even had reserved seats in the theater. Not just tickets, but assigned seats. Oooohhhhh...

And the movie itself? Fantastic. I have never been to a show where the audience applauded at the end of each song, but they did Saturday. They also gave a standing ovation mid-show when Jennifer Hudson sang "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going."

The movie is great. It's definitely a musical, so avoid this film if watching 30 different musical numbers is not to your liking. The rest of you, though, should catch it as soon as you can. It's fantastic!


No comments:

Post a Comment