Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Dreamgirls - The Movie

While in LA this weekend, I saw that Dreamgirls was playing at the ArcLight theater. I just assumed it had already opened, so I made plans to catch a matinée while everyone else was taking a nap. AJ and I went to the theater at 2 for a 3pm show, and we managed to buy the last two tickets. Apparently, it is an exclusive engagement at this theater right now. Tickets were $25 each, but included a slick program and a poster. In the lobby they had costumes and props from the film on display. I mean, we even had reserved seats in the theater. Not just tickets, but assigned seats. Oooohhhhh...

And the movie itself? Fantastic. I have never been to a show where the audience applauded at the end of each song, but they did Saturday. They also gave a standing ovation mid-show when Jennifer Hudson sang "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going."

The movie is great. It's definitely a musical, so avoid this film if watching 30 different musical numbers is not to your liking. The rest of you, though, should catch it as soon as you can. It's fantastic!