Tuesday, February 9, 2010

No one is coming to save you.

My friend, Jeremy, posted this recently as his Facebook status, and it really resonated with me. I think many of us wander through life with this ridiculous notion that someone, or some thing, is going to save us. We play the "if only" game until it paralyzes us. 

* If only I was 50 pounds lighter, I would like my body. 
* If only I didn't have a mortgage, I could afford what I wanted. 
* If only I had a better job, I'd enjoy working. 
* If only I could meet the right person, I'd be happy. 

And on and on it goes. But the truth is, I could work harder to lose that 50 pounds. I could pay more towards my mortgage. I could learn new skills and fight for a better job. And years ago, I could have worked more on making myself a better person instead of wishing for someone to come along and make me happy. But it's easier to wait for someone or something else to make it happen for me. 

Ultimately, there is no one else coming to save me. If I am to enjoy this life, to truly live and love and accomplish and create and every other wonderful thing I hope to do, I need to hold myself responsible for making it happen. Sure, I'll likely find others along the way that will help me, but I cannot hold them accountable for what happens to me. My life is about my choices and my actions, and the sooner I accept and embrace that, the sooner I can truly get to living. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment