Sunday, March 21, 2010

For The Right Reason

People start (and end) physical fitness programs for many different reasons. And ultimately, our reasons are our own and we do not have to justify them to others. That said, choosing to share something so personal and private is an important decision. 

I'm choosing to share my own reason because putting it down in writing makes it real. I'm choosing to share it in a public forum because it makes me accountable to others for the promises I am making. 

I am a good person. I love my husband, family and friends. I am dependable and stand by my word. I am someone that others look to for encouragement and support, lean on in times of trouble, and want to celebrate with in good times. I am proud of the person I am and make no excuses or apologies. I say this not to boast but to be clear that I consider myself a happy person living a great life. 

So why do I want to lose weight, get healthier, and become more physically fit? It's not because it will make me a better person. It won't. Physical changes won't improve who I am. I want to lose weight BECAUSE I am a good person. I want to get healthier because right now, the outside doesn't match the inside. I want to be more physically fit because I want my body to reflect all the good that is in my heart, my soul, my spirit. 

I am not improving the outside to make me a better person. I am improving the outside because the inside deserves it. 

(And a tip of the hat to my Marine buddy and friend, Jeremy, for helping me talk through all of this until it was clear in my own mind.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment