Friday, March 25, 2011

First World Problems

A little perspective goes a long way.

This morning, I had another one of my "wow" moments. Those are the times when a thought just pops into my head and stops me in my tracks.

It started like every other morning. I was brushing my teeth, thinking about the day ahead, and I noticed my running shoes on the floor. Out of nowhere, I thought, "those shoes cost more than some people make in a month." And the more I stared at them, the more I realized, I am a man with First World Problems.

I worry about having too much to eat. I worry about staying up too late playing with tech toys or watching TV. I worry about finding the motivation to get up early for the gym. I worry about my training program, wondering if it will be enough to get me to a sub-two hour half marathon. And I worry that I won't be in great shape when I go to my reunion in June.

In other words, I'm worrying over little things that pale in comparison to the struggles others are facing.

I'm not saying my life is perfect, but I need to remember that I am perfectly capable of dealing with anything going on in my life right now. I'm not struggling to find food or water. I'm not desperate to find shelter. I'm not alone and abandoned. I'm not facing a life-threatening illness. And my family and friends are equally blessed.

Perspective. This morning, I caught a little glimpse of it. And that's a good thing, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment