Saturday, February 25, 2012

Action 083 - Remain Calm.

If you know me at all, you have seen me in "organizer/planner" mode. I admit, it can be a bit manic. And regimented. And inflexible. And...

Alright, you get the idea. Planning and organizing a big event with a lot of people takes wisdom beforehand, skill during, and patience always. I know that from firsthand experience. That is why I make such an effort when I am the recipient of someone else's planning to be as easygoing and relaxed as I can. I know they are already stressed out and I don't need to add more to it.

Action 084 - Remain Calm. Getting from any exchange to another is stressful. Every other team is doing the same thing, and trying to get that many large passenger vans into small spaces can be a chore. And if the exchange is a major one, where the last runner from one van is replaced by the first runner from the other van, there are twice as many vehicles and at least twice as much confusion.

This is just one quadrant of the parking lot at Exchange 13. Each team's second vans are picking a runner up, and each team's first vans are dropping a runner off. So every van comes through at some point, and it is chaos.



What my team driver needed was for the rest of us to remain calm, get from and back to the van quickly, and help guide him as he backed out of the space and navigated through the onslaught of foot traffic.

I was not in charge, so my task was simple. Remain calm and assist the driver. That's it. And that's exactly what I did. And surprise, surprise, but the entire exchange went off smoothly and we were on the road in plenty of time.

There's something to this remaining calm business, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment