Friday, March 9, 2012

Action 147 - Own My Choices.

Poor me. My life is so horrible.

  • I have to go to the gym.

  • I don't want health food.

  • I can't eat that cookie.

  • I can't go out to dinner.


And the list goes on and on. I have to work out, eat healthy, stay active, and do all the things I don't want to do. Meanwhile, I can't lounge around, indulge in delicious foods and cocktails, and enjoy the things I want.

Sound familiar? It should. Many of us believe it's true. Heck, I believed for many years that it was true. But it's not. The only truth is Action 147 - Own My Choices.

There are two ways to look at what I am doing right now. One is to see myself as a victim. I am powerless over what is happening, all the good things are unattainable and all the bad things are being forced upon me. I have to work out and I have to eat healthy and I can't have or do anything that I want. (Sounds like a terrible way to live, doesn't it?)

Fortunately, there is another way to look at this. A more accurate way. I'm not a victim. None of this is happening TO me. I am the one with the power and control. I CHOOSE to improve my health. So this isn't a situation where, "I can't have junk food." It's, "I can't have junk food AND improve my health, so I CHOOSE to not have junk food."

It's like wanting to spend the day at the beach and at the mountains. I can do either, but not both. So I have to choose. Each choice has a "picked this and got this" benefit. And each choice has a "didn't pick the other one" cost. But either way, it is not like someone else is controlling me. I am deciding which of two things I want.

Now apply that back to food. It isn't that I can't have junk food, it's that I can't have it AND improve my physical fitness and lose the extra weight. So instead of thinking, "I can't have junk food," it's really, "I choose to not have it."

This isn't about losing control and being a victim. It is about taking power and being in control of my own life. And for me, that makes all the difference.



(Image courtesy of cleanreputations.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment