Saturday, March 10, 2012

Action 152 - Be Frugal.

It's easy to go overboard when buying health foods. Henry's, Trader Joe's and Sprouts are all full of great tasting healthy choices. Unfortunately, those choices can also come with a hefty price tag. There's a reason Whole Foods is called "Whole Paycheck."

So is cheap food the only alternative? Absolutely not. There's a better solution.

Action 152 - Be Frugal. I don't have to spend a ton of money on prepackaged, already prepared and ready to serve meals from the expensive stores. I can buy fresh and local for much, much less money.

Case in point, this morning's trip to Pancho Villa, my neighborhood grocery market.



I went right to the fresh produce section and scored a great haul. I bought a white onion, two orange bell peppers, two yellow bell peppers, two zucchini squash and three plantains... all for the amazing price of $5.03. Yep, for five bucks I got ingredients to add to meals for the next couple of days.



No, it isn't a replacement for the rest of what I need to spend on groceries. But it is a reminder to me that I can buy fresh, healthy produce for a fraction of the price of the prepackaged meals. That means I can eat better for less money. Win-Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment