Thursday, April 5, 2012

Action 285 - Don't Quit.

For most of my life, I've struggled with a fear of failure. And sometimes, that fear has become so real and tangible that it turned into a self-fulfilling prophecy. I have quit. And I have had to live with the consequences and shame of that failure afterwards.

But I'm working from a new playbook these days. It started when I decided I didn't want to weigh over 200 pounds anymore. I promised myself I would work out and eat perfectly every single day until I weighed 199. And I did that. It continued when I said I was going to run a Super Spartan and a Tough Mudder. I was determined to cross both of those finish lines. And I did. And it continued when I vowed to run and complete the Marine Corps Marathon. I was going to do it for the honor and glory of all those brave Marines who had come before me. And I did that. I set out to do each of these things, despite my fears of failure.

Action 285 - Don't Quit. In the end, it really is that simple. I can either listen to the fear and doubt in my head or I can replace those words with personal messages of encouragement and support. In other words, I can listen to the garbage or I can drown it out with the sound of how awesome I am.

Which choice fuels success? Yeah, it's obvious. All I have to do to avoid dealing with feelings of failure is to not quit. I just need to keep going, see any challenge through, and celebrate the glory that comes with finishing.

Don't quit. Because really, it feels so much better to see it through!

No comments:

Post a Comment