Saturday, August 16, 2014

What great things come from a simple idea...

Last Sunday, I wrote this blog in response to news of a Northern California man's suicide.

And then, one day later, I learned that Robin Williams had taken his own life, too. And it broke my heart. I wept for him, I wept for the loved ones he left behind, and I wept for all of us who know that darkness and loneliness in our own lives.

But weeping has a time and place. And when I was done, I knew that I needed to do something, to take some action to offset the loss and pain I was feeling.

So, I came up with a simple idea. Robin Williams has long been known for his kindness and generosity. With that as inspiration, I decided that I would do three acts of kindness for other people. And me being me, I shared that idea with my friends.

Then they shared it with their friends. Who shared it with their friends. And on it went, until it grew to a major Facebook event with more than thirty-five thousand people invited and more than three thousand joining with me.


Seriously. Three thousand people. We have folks participating from each of the fifty states and from countries all around the world.

Thousands and thousands of acts of kindness, compassion, and generosity are taking place today. All because of the smallest of an idea that caught fire through the passion and spirit of others.

If nothing else comes of today, I am hopeful that this message will be heard loud and clear:

You matter. You are loved. And we need you to stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment